About the Program
East High School is proud to offer Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA). GSA is a student-run club that unites LGBTQ+ and straight students to provide a safe place to socialize and create a platform for activism around issues that impact students and communities.
GSA’s Network resources empower students to advocate for safe schools’ policies, mobilize their peers to stand up for safety and equality, and train school staff to prevent bullying.
By providing in-depth leadership and activist training for youth, the GSA Network is building a generation of leaders for LGBTQ rights and social justice. Through involvement in GSA, students learn valuable life skills including teamwork, advocacy, and support.
Students in Action
EHS GSA Students Developing a Culture of Kindness
EHS GSA Students Conducting Community Advocacy
EHS GSA Student Demonstrates the Club Flag
EHS GSA Spirit Board
EHS Recognized for GSA of the Year Spirit Award
EHS GSA Students Gather During a Social Engagement
EHS GSA Students Encourage a Positive and Non-judgmental Environment
- GSA of the Year in the state of Iowa for 2019!
Highlights about East High GSA
- The East High GSA has been active for nine years.
- The East High GSA has participated in Sioux City’s PRIDE festival for the past four years.
- The East High GSA has attended the Iowa Safe Schools’ Governor’s Confidence in Des Moines for the past four years.
- East High GSA engages with fellow students through annual activities such as bake sales, movie days, tie dye parties, and the Transgender Day of Silence.
- East High GSA meetings engage students in activism and education on topics including transgender rights, Black History Month and the LGBTQ+ community, understanding non-binary, and bisexuality.
Meet the Advisor
- Jess Fielding